Do you wish to study in Australia without IELTS? Studying in Australia has become the pursuit of many students due to its competitiveness, international job opportunities, and world-class education system.
But this dream is often not fulfilled because some children come from a country that does not speak English.
International students whose native language is not English must prove evidence of language competence to be admitted to study in Australia.
Before you can apply to any university in Australia, you must qualify for an English Proficiency Test.
One of the most sought-after language tests is IELTS. Their are others like TOEFL IBT, Pearson Test of English Academic PTE, Cambridge Advanced CAE, Cambridge English CPE, Occupational English Test OET.
This might have made you wonder if you can gain admission at a university in Australia without IELTS.
Luckily, there are some universities or educational Institution in Australia which are aiming to gain a competitive edge in the international higher education market, therefore, may offer you admission even if you don’t have an IELTS score.
In this article, we will present to you all the important details to study in Australia without IELTS.
Can You Study In Australia Without IELTS?
Yes, but it comes with some certain conditions that must be met if you want to study in Australia without IELTS.
How to Study in Australia Without IELTS?
Getting admission in a country like Australia is not an easy task but it becomes even more difficult if you are unable to appear in IELTS or have not achieved a satisfactory score on the test.
But there are alternatives available other than IELTS for those planning to study in Australia.
Many universities offer admission to international students who can’t submit scores on any English proficiency test.
Here are the top alternatives through which you can fulfil your dream of studying in Australia without IELTS:
- Most universities in Australia have dedicated schools or departments for English Language courses for international students. If you want to study in Australia without appearing for IELTS, you can undertake these courses. You can opt for these English Language Programs and complete the qualification required for your chosen course. Some of the universities offering such programs are Macquarie University, University of Melbourne, and the Swinburne University of Technology.
- You can also explore options like the International Baccalaureate Program. You will not be asked to submit your IELTS score if you have successfully completed this program. It is a diploma program lasting for a total duration of 2 years. It is recognized by different universities in Australia.
- The University of Queensland also allows international students to pursue a course if they can provide proof of work experience with any organization where the primary mode of communication had been English. The minimum work experience required is of 5 years.
- Additionally, some prominent universities, like the University of Southern Queensland, offer distinctive pathway programs. These ensure a student conveniently gets admission into a major study program without worrying about the hassles of English language proficiency scores.
- Many universities also accept scores of other language proficiency tests which include TOEFL, CAE, CPE, PTE and OET.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- Top 10 Most Affordable Online degrees in the UK in 2022 [Cheapest Online master degree]
- Best Online Universities In UK 2022 [Our Top 10 List]
- Best Online Colleges And Universities In USA 2022 [Top 10 List]
Universities To Study In Australia Without IELTS?
Let’s explore different universities that have waived the IELTS requirements for international students and offer the aforementioned alternatives.
Below is the list of the universities to study in Australia without IELTS.
The University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide is in 114th position in the world university rankings.
Even though the university’s acceptable language proficiency tests include IELTS, students can choose from TOEFL, Pearson Test of English Academic (PET), and Cambridge Advanced (CAE) as well.
The university can also ask students to join a language preparatory course to improve their English skills which normally lasts for a full academic year or two semesters.
At the end of each semester, there’s a test to measure your English improvement. If you show excellent skills by the end of the first semester you can skip the second.
Note, however, that if you don’t pass final exams you won’t be allowed to study in your regular course.
The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland has secured the 48th position in the World’s Top Universities Ranking.
The University of Queensland is committed to giving all students a chance for admission.
Although an IELTS score is typically required for admission at the University of Queensland, there are other alternatives for how you can meet the university’s English requirements.
If English was the language of instruction in your past education, then you can provide certain evidence which can encourage the university to list you among suitable candidates for the course you’re applying to.
Or you have obtained another relevant English certificate or your English grades were high in your previous education.
Another way to study in University of Queensland without IELTS is when you have obtained a bachelor or master’s degree from an accredited institution recognized by the University of Queensland for this purpose.
You can also apply to study in the university of Queensland if you have attended a one-year full-time study program at a recognized university from the University of Queensland for this purpose.
Alternatively, if you have a Working experience of a specific length in a professional English speaking environment, then you can apply with evidence.
Bond University is one of the best universities in the world. It is ranked 443rd QS Global World Rankings.
To be eligible for admission, applicants must be able to provide strong and relevant evidence of their English knowledge. Apart from IELTS, Bond University accepts C1 Advanced, Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE).
Another alternative is to provide evidence of having attained your secondary education in an English-taught school in some specific countries including Canada, England, New Zealand, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to mention a few, then you have chances to get admitted.
Australian National University
Australian National University (ANU) was ranked 27th in the World by QS World University Rankings.
This university offers many options for international students to meet their English language requirements.
Students can submit the certificates of any one of the language proficiency tests including but are not limited to TOEFL, PTE, and CAE.
Alternatively, you can also submit your English language proficiency certificate which you have obtained from your local institution.
Australian National University also offers its own ANU Access Program, which is an in-depth 10-week course, clearly focusing on academic English and improving a person’s ability to use the language fluently.
The University of New South Wales
The University of New South Wales has secured the position of 45th in the World by QS World University Rankings.
Some of the English certificates that are accepted at the University of New South Wales are Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE), Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
In some cases, the university can also consider your application if you have not obtained any of the English certificate.
But you need to contact the university’s admission office and provide genuine evidence that your English meets university language requirements.
One way you can do this is by submitting your scores in relevant English tests during your previous education.
Another alternative to study in the university of New South Wales is if you have been working for at least 2 years in an environment surrounded by native English speakers. If that is the case you can submit a reference from your employer.
The Swinburne University of Technology
According to the QS world’s top Universities Ranking, Swinburne is ranked 387th position.
Apart from IELTS and TOEFL scores the Swinburne University of Technology is open to students who have scored relatively high on other recognized English qualifications like PTE Academic, Common European Framework and VCE English.
Also, you can enroll for a preparatory English course offered as part of the university’s English Language Course (ELICOS), if you’re not able to prove your English proficiency at the time of application.
There are two types of English preparatory courses at the Swinburne University of Technology: General English and English For Academic Purposes which varies from 5-50 weeks.
Another alternative is that an applicant must have completed their tertiary or secondary in the English language with submission of a Confirmation letter.
Lastly, Students from the following countries don’t need any proficiency certificate: Germany, Denmark, Hong Kong, Norway, Netherlands, SwedenThe University of South Australia
According to QS World University Rankings, the University of South Australia has been ranked 256th.
To apply for any study program in this university, the requirements include a score of 50 points in PTE or have a score of 169 in CAE or CPE.
You can also apply to the university if you complete the Centre for English Language [CELUSA] English Program: Level 4 or TAFE SA course.
In addition, if you have completed asecondary studies in Australia or you’ve finished a minimum of 1 year of tertiary education in Australia or any of the countries specified by the university, you’re also eligible to apply for a course without submitting IELTS scores.
Another university which allows you to study in australia without IELTS is Macquarie University. The English required defers from one course of Study to another.
Another alternative is to obtained any of this for English certificate such as Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE), Cambridge English Advanced (CAE), Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE), Occupational English Test (OET).
- 30 Simple Business Ideas In Canada For Immigrants (2022)
- 20 Cheapest Medical Schools In Canada
- Top 20 Best Medical Schools in UK
Australia Study Visa Without IELTS
International students can pursue higher education without IELTS, you are not restricted from applying for an Australian student visa.
Here is all you need to know regarding the major requirement and application costs of the Visa:
- An applicant must present proof of enrolment for studying in Australia and submit a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).
- An applicant must possess OSHC, Overseas Student Health Cover.
- International Students from certain countries are exempted from submitting English language evidence, however, the authorities have the right to ask candidates to provide proof anytime during the application process.
- Those applying for an Australia study visa need to submit proof of your English language skills when submitting a visa application. You must show proof of department-approved English test scores.
You might also want to read: 15 Tuition Free Medical Colleges In Canada
List of Scholarships to Study in Australia
1. Australian Awards Scholarships
The Australia Awards Scholarship is an Australian Prestigious Government Scholarship is open for Undergraduate (Bachelor), Postgraduate (Master, and Ph.D.) Degree Programs.
2. Australian National University Scholarships
Fully Funded Scholarships are available at ANU University for International and Domestic Students. The Scholarship is to Undertake a Master’s Degree or a Ph.D. Degree from ANU University. ANU is located in Canberra, the capital of Australia.
3. Fully-Funded Rotary Peace Fellowships
International Students who will apply for the Rotary Peace Scholarships will study at any of the Australian universities for a 2 Year Master Degree Program or Shot Certificate Course.
4. Global Excellence Scholarship at the University of Western Australia
The Scholarships are open to Studying for a Bachelors, Master or a PhD Degree Program at the University of Adelaide Funded by the Australian Government.
5. Australian Government Scholarships at University of Flinders
The Scholarships are open to Studying a Bachelors, Master or a PhD Degree Program at the University of Adelaide Funded by the Australian Government.
6. Sydney Scholars Award
The Sydney Scholars Award is an Australian Prestigious Government Scholarship is open for Undergraduate (Bachelor) Degree Programs.
7. Australian Government Scholarships at the University of Adelaide
The Scholarships are open to Studying for a master or a Ph.D. Degree Program at the University of Adelaide Funded by the Australian Government.
8. Australian Government Scholarships at University of South Wales
The Scholarships are open to studying a Master or a PhD Degree Program at the University of Adelaide Funded by the Australian Government.
9. University of Melbourne Scholarships
600 Graduate Research Scholarships at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
The University of Melbourne Scholarships is the Highest Number of Scholarships for domestic and International Students to Study Free in Australia Masters, MPhil, Doctoral Degree.
10. University of South Australia Scholarships
A Total of 300 Scholarships will be provided each year to international Students for Full-Time Master Degree Programs & Ph.D. Degree Programs. You can do Master by Research (MPhil) or Ph.D. at the University of South Australia.
- 20 Tuition Free Medical Colleges In UK
- 20 Tuition Free Medical colleges in USA
- 20 Cheapest Medical Schools in UK
- 20 Best Medical Schools in USA
- Best Scholarships for Nigerian Students in the USA in 2022/2023
Final Thoughts On Study In Australia Without IELTS
You can now study in Australia without IELTS. Most universities in Australia would require a International candidate to appear for an English Language test.
There are some alternative to study in Australia without IELTS and some of those alternative have been explained in the article above.
What would you like to know about Australia and Australia visa? Drop it instead the comment section below.
Don’t forget to share this article with others who might be interested in studying in Australia and also bookmark this site for more updates.