This guide is focused on the top virtual dollar cards in Nigeria.
Making payments for the things you want to buy is one of the challenges of shopping online in Nigeria or paying for subscriptions or making normal digital payments, especially if you want to buy from international stores like Netflix, Alibaba, Aliexpress, Amazon and others.
While there are varieties of alternative payment platforms available on some of these international online shopping sites, but can not be compared with paying with your Master or Visa Credit or Debit Card which is the easiest and fastest way to pay.
Using a Nigerian debit or credit card to buy things online can be convenient to use on international online shopping sites. Virtual dollar cards in Nigeria only exist within an app. You can’t use them for in-person transactions, but they are well-suited to buying things online.
They’re also a lot easier to get than an actual dollar card because they don’t have a physical equivalent, and you don’t have to wait for them to arrive in the mail. They normally function as prepaid cards that must be loaded with naira from a bank account or card.
You may have to pay a cost while topping them up, in addition to a tiny monthly fee, but you’ll avoid international transaction fees, which may range from 5% to 15% depending on the issuer of your naira card.
The virtual card is identical to the physical card, with the exception that it is a digital card that can only be used for online purchases and payments.
One advantage of a virtual card is that you can easily get it, and make your online payment, right from the comfort of your home, without having to visit the bank to obtain it.
There are a lot of fintech companies that offer virtual dollar cards in Nigeria. In this comprehensive guide, you will learn about some of the banks that give out virtual cards in Nigeria and top Fintech companies where you can also get a virtual dollar card in Nigeria.
See Also: Top 10 Best Digital Banks in Nigeria
What Is A Virtual Card?
A virtual card is a digital card that is mainly used to shop online, and for making payments online. This virtual card is linked to your actual physical card or bank account.
A virtual dollar card is a dollar-denominated non-physical card for making payments online and not for physical card transactions like withdrawal of cash. They tend to work where Naira-denominated physical debit or credit cards from Nigerian banks and financial institutions stop working.
It is a set of sixteen digits similar to your card number along with a Card Verification Value (C.V.V) number generated using banking software. These numbers can be used for online payment, but can’t be used for any physical transaction.
If you are actively involved in the mini importation business, you must have realized by now the new CBN’s policy, you can’t make more than $100 payment in a month for any foreign online transaction with one bank card (by bank card, I am referring to the Master or Visa Card).
Hence, if you must make purchases worth more than $100 within a month, you will be needing a lot of different Visa or Master Cards.
This prompted the search for a long-term solution, which turned out to be the usage of a virtual Dollar Card to make payments. There is no limit to the amount you must pay monthly for every purchase with a virtual dollar card.
However, getting a dorm account in Nigeria may be quite unpleasant, and even the hardship of filling the account each time you want to make an online purchase can deter you from choosing this option, so be cautious. The usage of virtual dollar cards supplied by several fintech companies in Nigeria is one of the greatest ways to settle this.
Hence, if you need a dollar virtual card without any limit for foreign online transactions, this section is worth paying attention to, as I will be listing the 15 best virtual dollar cards in Nigeria.
Important Qualities Of A Virtual Dollar Card
Below are some of the advantages of using a Virtual Card in Nigeria.
1. It Secures Your Banking Details
When you use a virtual card to make a purchase, you can be certain that your transaction is secure. Your information will never be shared with third parties, and third parties will not be able to track your information.
Because it is a digital card, it cannot be stolen and used by a third party.
2. You Can Control Your Spending With A Virtual Dollar Card
Shopping with your credit card can sometimes become excessive, leading to addiction.
However, unlike most actual cards, a virtual dollar card allows you to establish a spending limit. This limit is determined when the card is provided to you and can be adjusted at any time throughout the agreement’s terms.
It’s just as vital to read the terms and conditions when you get your virtual card as it is when you get your actual card.
3. Globally Accepted
Virtual dollar cards in Nigeria are quickly becoming popular among internet buyers. As a result, more companies are starting to trust virtual dollar cards. Virtual dollar cards in Nigeria are accepted by the majority of well-known purchasing sites.
The Downsides Of Using A Virtual Card
Below are some of the disadvantages of using a virtual card in Nigeria.
1. It Expires Within A Year
The expiry date of a virtual card is under a year, unlike physical cards which could last for 3 to 4 years.
2. It Can’t Be Used For Verification Physically
When you make an online reservation and are subsequently asked to physically verify your credit card. Virtual cards can not be used for physical verification.
3. There Could Be Problem When Dealing With Small Scale Businesses
A lots of businesses international accept virtual cards for transactions, but most small-scale businesses do not accept virtual cards. This means virtual card owners can only patronize businesses that accept their cards.
Top 15 Free & Cheap Best Virtual Dollar Cards in Nigeria 2022
1. Barter by Flutterwave Virtual Dollar Cards
Barter is owned by Flutterwave and it is established in 2019. Barter provides virtual Dollar cards that are acceptable everywhere for online shopping and paying for anything online anywhere in the world.
Barter allows you to send and receive money from abroad, but you can also use it as a digital wallet, by funding it with your bank account, bank card, or mobile money account.
Each virtual card costs $2, with a $1 monthly fee, and you need at least $5 on your account to create one. You can load it up to $10,000.
How to Get Barter by Flutterwave Virtual Dollar Card on Barter:
To create a dollar virtual card with Barter, follow these simple steps below
- Sign up to Barter by downloading the Barter mobile app or by visiting the Flutterwave website.
- Add your details and complete the KYC (Know-your-customer) and verification stage.
- Add money to your Barter by Flutterwave account.
- Click on “Create new card”.
- Go on to create either a multi-functional or a platform-specific card.
- Fund your virtual Dollar card and start making payments online with ease.
Check out this article on Paystack vs Flutterwave – Which Is Best In 2022
2. ALAT Virtual Dollar Cards by Wema
Owned by Wema bank, ALAT was the first leading digital bank in Nigeria. Just like Kuda bank, ALAT allows you to operate a bank account without having to go to a bank.
To get an ALAT virtual card, you’ll need to have an ALAT account. You also get a physical debit card with ALAT.
It offers a complete banking package, with a bank account, physical debit card, savings, and loans, and it is one of the best virtual dollar cards in Nigeria.
Once you set up an account and fund it, you can load your card straight from your naira balance for up to $20,000 and covert the dollars back into naira if you need to.
However, you can’t use it on money transfer websites, and it does not work with 3D Secure.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With ALAT
To get an ALAT Virtual Dollar Card follow these steps:
- Download and Sign up for ALAT on its app if you haven’t already
- Sign in to ALAT on Mobile or Web.
- Navigate to the main menu and Tap on Cards
- Click on ALAT Dollar Card
- Click on Create a New Card
- Then Fill in all required information to proceed and create your virtual dollar card.
3. Kuda bank Virtual Card
Kuda bank, one of the top digital banks in Nigeria also offers virtual cards too. Kuda bank is a digital bank for all your banking needs. The company also offers physical cards which they deliver for free to you. They also offer loans at some of the best interest rates too.
Kuda bank doesn’t charge for creating virtual cards on its app.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With Kuda bank
To create a virtual card on Kuda bank follow these steps:
- Open the Kuda app
- Tap Card on the menu at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose Request A Card.
- Then Tap Get A Virtual Card.
- Confirm with your Kuda transaction PIN, fingerprint or Face ID.
4. Wallet Africa Virtual Dollar Card
Wallet Africa is another platform to create virtual Dollar cards in Nigeria. Its mobile app has other features like instant account statements and physical cards.
Wallet Africa is issued by UBA, which means you are not restricted to online transactions in dollars, which makes it great for traveling! This does come with a price, as your card comes with a monthly $1 fee, a $0.75 fee on every foreign transaction, and a 2% fee to load it from an external account.
Unlike ALAT, creating a physical Dollar card with Wallet will cost you back NGN 1,500.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With Wallet Africa
To create a dollar virtual card with Wallet, follow the steps below.
- Download the Wallet mobile app and open an account.
- Log in to your account.
- Add money to your wallet using your physical ATM card or bank transfer. The least amount you can add to your wallet is 10 Dollars.
- On your dashboard, click on ‘Cards’.
- Then select ‘create a virtual Dollar card’.
5. Eyowo – Visa Virtual Dollar Card in Nigeria
Eyowo is another great platform for creating virtual dollar cards in Nigeria. It is popular among owners of small and medium businesses because it allows you to fund your virtual Dollar card with as low as 1 dollar.
Eyowo is a reliable financial technology company that allows you to make payments, pay bills and receive money with just your phone number. You are also entitled to a “cardless ATM withdrawal” service if you use Eyowo. This allows you to access physical cash without your ATM card.
Eyowo allows you to fund your virtual Dollar card in Nigeria with as low as 1 dollar.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With Eyowo
To create a dollar virtual card with Eyowo, follow the steps below.
- Visit the Eyowo official website eyowo.com or download the Eyowo mobile app on Google Play Store.
- Click on ‘register’ and input your phone number.
- Provide the necessary information and complete the registration.
- On your dashboard, click on the ‘more’ and select ‘Eyowo Dollar cards’.
- Enter the name to be displayed on the card and enter the amount you want to fund your virtual Dollar card with.
- Click on ‘create card’.
6. Eversend Virtual Card
Eversend is a neobank in Africa. Eversend is a mobile-only banking alternative where you can exchange, save, and send money instantly within and outside Africa.
It’s a fintech app that allows you to hold a multi-currency wallet. This means you can hold and exchange six different currencies: GHC, KES, NGN, RWF, UGX & USD. You can also send money to mobile money or Eversend accounts in Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Nigeria & Uganda. As well as create payments links that you can send to people for getting paid.
Eversend also offers Virtual Dollar Master Cards in Nigeria for paying for things online. You can also freeze and unfreeze your Eversend virtual card anytime as a protection against fraud.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With Eversend
Follow the steps below to create a virtual dollar card with Eversend.
- Download the Eversend mobile app, register, and log in.
- Click on ‘cards’ at the bottom of the app on the homepage.
- Click on ‘create new card’.
- Enter the amount you want to add to your account. The minimum amount is 5 dollars.
- Enter your PIN.
- When you want to fund the card, use the ‘add money’ feature.
7. Bitsika Virtual Visa Dollar Card
Bitsika is an app available in Nigeria and several French-speaking African countries. It provides easy sending and receiving of money between Ghana and Nigeria.
Your Bitsika wallet allows you to receive and transfer funds from your wallet to other Bitsika wallets, deposit and payout Cedis using MTN mobile money, AirtelTigo cash and Vodafone cash, deposit and payout Naira using a debit card or bank transfer.
You can also buy and sell Bitcoin, BUSD (dollar stable-coin) and ABCD stable-coin using your Bitsika wallet. You can then spend it through a virtual Visa debit card, though it comes with a high 8% fee.
Bitsika also allows you to create a virtual visa card as well. To get a Bitsika virtual visa card, you can install Bitsika on your phone.
8. Fundall Virtual Dollar Card In Nigeria
Fundall is another Nigerian digital bank platform that offers virtual dollar cards in Nigeria. The Fundall Virtual US Dollar Card is a prepaid dollar-denominated card that allows you to make payments and shop online anywhere in the world without restrictions and without the need to input your ATM card numbers.
The Fundall app lets you easily generate multiple Virtual US Dollar Cards to make a one-off payment for ongoing transactions.
It offers the first card for free, with a minimum load of $5
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With Fundall
Creating a Virtual Dollar Card in Nigeria on your Fundall app is easy. Also, creating your first Virtual Dollar Card on the Fundall app is free.
To create a Fundall Virtual Dollar Card, follow these steps:
- Sign up to Fundall by downloading the app and registering. If you have an existing Fundall account, just sign in to your account.
- Tap on the Spend option.
- Select the Cards option.
- Then tap on Add new card
- Select the Virtual US Dollar Card option.
- Customise your card by adding a label and your preferred billing address.
- Fund your card with an amount as low as $5 by inputting the naira equivalent.
- Then click on ‘Fund Card’ to complete your Fundall virtual card creation process.
SpectroCard is another platform for creating a virtual Dollar card in Nigeria.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With SpectroCard
Follow the steps below to create a virtual dollar card with SpectroCard.
- Create an account with SpectroCard.
- A verification email will be sent to you; use it to verify your account.
- Update your account with all necessary information.
- Fund your account.
- Create your virtual Dollar card.
Another way you can get Virtual dollar cards in Nigeria is FXKUDI. FXKUDI users can send and receive money from anywhere with no charges.
How To Create A Virtual Dollar Card With FXKUDI
To Create an FXKudi Virtual Dollar Card , follow the steps below:
- Register for an FXKudi account by visiting its official website or download the FXKudi app from Google Playstore or IOS app store.
- Verify your account via the email you used to register.
- Update your account with the necessary information.
- Fund your account.
- Create your FXKudi virtual Dollar card.
11. Mintyn Virtual Dollar Card
Mintyn is a Nigerian digital bank offering many different banking services, including private bank accounts, corporate accounts, savings, and even services like instant loans and mutual funds.
They also have an unlimited virtual dollar card for Tier 3 account holders that can immediately be activated.
Debit Naira Virtual Cards in Nigeria
12. Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank)
GTB is one of the banks that issue virtual cards in Nigeria. The GTBank virtual MasterCard is issued to online shoppers as an alternative to the physical plastic card.
It is also designed for customers who lost their cards and need to make an urgent purchase. It is issued instantly when requested via their online banking platform.
The Gtbank virtual card is instantly issued after being requested via GTbank Internet Banking. The virtual card is also loaded through internet banking.
The Gtbank virtual card can also be converted to a physical debit card upon your request and the card is valid for 3 years.
How To Apply For The GTBank Virtual MasterCard
To apply for GTB virtual card, follow the steps below.
- Log in to the Gtbank Internet Banking Platform
- Choose Cards from the left-hand panel
- Then click on the Virtual Card request menu and fill the displayed form
- Click the new “Request Button” to request for a new virtual Pre-paid Card
- Select the Account to Debit for charges for your virtual card
- Click on the ‘Account to link’
- Answer your secret question and click the ‘Continue’ button
- The confirmation button will be displayed
- Generate a 6-digit code from your hardware token device
- Input the generated 6-digit token code on the confirmation page
- Click the ‘Submit‘ button
Internet Banking will display the details of the Pre-paid card once your request is successful
- PAN (The Card Number)
- Expiry date
- Activation Code
13. First Bank of Nigeria Plc
Another bank to get virtual cards in Nigeria is the First Bank of Nigeria. The First Bank virtual card is a representation of the physical card. It is a Naira denominated debit card linked to the customer’s bank or wallet account.
The FirstBank virtual card is a Visa card, hence, is accepted in every foreign platform, just like the GTB Master Card.
However, the Virtual Card on the FirstMobile app is available both for local and international transactions and the Virtual Card on the Firstmonie app is only available for only local transactions.
You can request for the First Bank virtual card on the FirstMobile or FirstMonie Wallet apps which are available on Google Playstore for Android OS and IOS Store for IOS.
It cost N200 to get the FirstBank virtual card in Nigeria.
How To Apply For The First Bank Virtual MasterCard
To get your FirstBank of Nigeria virtual card, follow the steps below.
1. Open and log in to your FirstBank mobile application.
2. Tap on the Menu option on the left, and select the Card Services option.
3. Now select the Virtual Cards option on the list, and create your virtual.
14. Zenith Bank PLC
Zenith bank is another platform to get virtual cards in Nigeria. The Zenith Bank virtual card is issued for online transactions and can be used for local or international online shopping.
It can also be used to pay bills and for subscriptions. To request for the Zenith Bank virtual card, you don’t need to visit a bank branch.
You just need to request for the virtual card on the Zenith Bank online platform or dial *966*2273# and follow the prompts.
15. Gomoney – Virtual Naira Master Card
Gomoney is another digital bank in Nigeria that lets you create a virtual card in Nigeria that can be used for both international and local payments. As well as for setting up recurring subscriptions like Netflix, Apple, etc.
With a goMoney account, you can create a virtual debit MasterCard from the gomoney app. Apple Music or Netflix by paying with your virtual naira card.
To get a Gomoney virtual card sign up to the Gomoney app to create an account and you can now create a card.
16. Carbon – Virtual Visa Card in Nigeria
Carbon was a digital lender that has now grown into one of the digital banks in Nigeria where you can create a bank account in Nigeria from your smartphone and start paying bills, transfer money, access instant loans and also enjoy high-interest savings. Carbon also provides virtual cards to its users from its app.
The Carbon Virtual Visa Card can be used at terminals, e-Commerce sites, Payment Gateways, Google Pay, Apple Pay and other offline channels where virtual cards are accepted.
What Is the Best Option for a Virtual Dollar Card in Nigeria?
The best option for a Virtual Dollar Card in Nigeria depends on a variety of different needs: are you looking for an independent card, free of other account obligations? a full online banking package? small fees? A combination of these offerings may be necessary for you, but our research indicates that:
- If you’re looking for a simple service, Barter is your best option.
- If you want a complete banking package, then ALAT provides the best offering for a virtual dollar card in Nigeria.
That’s all on the 7 platforms to get a virtual dollar card in Nigeria. Currently, I can’t point out the best virtual dollar card in Nigeria, as each of the issuing virtual dollar card platforms has its own features and policies that make them unique.
That’s all on the platforms to get virtual dollar cards and virtual cards in Nigeria. I hope this guide helps